McCullloch County is named for Benjamin McCulloch, who was a famous Texas Ranger and Confederate general who was killed at the Battle of Pea Ridge.
Created: August 27, 1856
Brady 1876 – present
County Courthouse – Brady
Location: 221 West Commerce Street / South Bridge Street
Built: 1898 – 1899
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: Martin & Moodie of Comanche
Contractor: Martin & Moodie of Comanche
Description: The building faces south and is a three story yellow colored sandstone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has two round towers on either side of the entrance which has a large arch on the first story. On the center of the roof is a large square tower with open arches and small turrets on each corner. the building was restored in 2009.
Note: The first courthouse was a two story stone structure designed by Frederick Ernst Ruffini and constructed by John McDonald of Austin in 1877 to 1879. The present courthouse has no clock in the central tower. The second and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $33,000 in 1898. The courthouse has no clock in the central tower.
E – San Saba County
Photos taken 2006 and 2014