Maverick County is named for Samuel Augustus Maverick, who was an early legislator and later a rancher in the county.
Created: February 2, 1856
Eagle Pass 1894 – present
Old County Courthouse – Eagle Pass
Location: 501 East Main Street / Madison Street
Built: 1884 – 1885
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: James W Wahrenberger & Albert F Beckman of San Antonio
Contractor: William Hausser of Eagle Pass
Description: The building faces south and is a two story yellow colored plastered brick and stone style structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a protruding center section with three arched windows on the first story and three high arched windows on the second story. On either side of the center section are porticoes supported by two columns for the entrance doorways. In the center of the roof is a high square stone clock tower. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was restored in 2005.
Note: The old courthouse and a jail were erected at total cost of $20,489. The jail was replaced in 1949 and sits on the north side of the old courthouse.
County Courthouse – Eagle Pass
Location: 500 Quarry Street / Madison Street
Built: 1978 – 1979
Style: Modern Mediterranean
Architect: Barton D Riley & Associates
Contractor: Hallman & Keele Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building is comprised of an east and west section with a center entrance and enclosed courtyard. The windows are vertical with projecting white colored frames. The red colored roof is sloped with a flat center roof line section. The courtroom is located on the southeast side of the second story.
N – Kinney County
S – Mexico
W – Mexico
Old County Courthouse
Old County Jail
Photos taken 2006, 2014 and 2019