Mason County is named for Fort Mason which was located in Texas.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Llano County
Created: January 22, 1858
Mason 1858 – present
County Courthouse – Mason ( Destroyed by fire in 2021 )
Location: 201 Fort McKavitt Street / San Antonio Street
Built: 1908 – 1909
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Edward Columbus Hosford of Atlanta, Georgia
Contractor: Mutual Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story granite, red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Mason. The west front has a large portico with four Doric columns rising a wide pediment with fanlight at the roof line. There are porticoes each of the other sides. The windows have stone headers. There is stone trim at the corners. On the center of the roof is an octagonal dome with clock at the top. The roof is hipped. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was renovated in 1986. On the east side of the building is a one story washroom building. On the south side of the building are the County Law Enforcement Building built in 1940 and the old brownstone County Jail built in 1894.
See: The architect, Edward Columbus Hosford of Atlanta, Georgia..
History: The county was created in 1858 and Mason was selected as the county seat. The first courts met in rented premises. The first courthouse was a two story rock structure built by August Brockmann in 1872 to 1875. The courthouse burned in 1877. The second courthouse was a two story stone structure designed by Francis M Carr & Daniels and constructed in 1878 at a cost of $4,500. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1909 to 1910 at a cost of $39,721. The courthouse was destroyed by fire on February 5, 2021.
County Courthouse – Mason
Old County Jail – Mason
County Law Enforcement Building – Mason
Photos taken 2014 and 2017