Marion County

US States / O-U / Texas / Marion County
Marion

Marion County is named for Francis Marion, who was a general during the American Revolutionary War.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Morris County and Cass County

E – Caddo Parish, Louisiana

S – Harrison County

W – Upshur County

 

Created:  February 8, 1860                    Map of Texas highlighting Marion County

County Seat: 

Jefferson  1860 – present

 

County Courthouse – Jefferson  

 

Location:  102 West Austin Street / South Polk Street

Built:  1912 – 1913

Style:  Texas Renaissance and Classical Revival

Architect:  Elmer George Withers

Contractor:  L R Wright and L O Hitchcock

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a two story yellow colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Jefferson. The building has a raised basement with dark brown colored brick. The north front has a large porch with two high white colored columns. The recessed entrance has a small pediment above the doorway. A balustrade runs along the flat roof line. In the interior, the first story has a north-south central hallway. The courtroom is located on the second story.  The building houses the State District Court and Constitutional County Court. On the west side is the Murphy County Building.

 

See:  The architect, Elmer George Withers, designed a similar courthouse in Roberts County in western Texas.

 

Murphy Building – Jefferson  

 

0939t17

 

Location:  114 West Austin Street / South Polk Street

Built:  1850′s

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  John C Murphy and James M Murphy

Contractor:  John C Murphy and James M Murphy

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located in the center of Jefferson to the southwest of the courthouse. The northwest front has a central entrance and the roof line is flat. The building contains a courtroom.

 

Note:  The building served as the courthouse from 1884 until 1912. The brothers John C Murphy and James M Murphy built this structure as a warehouse in the riverfront district. In 1884 the building was remodeled for county offices and courts. In 1915 it became the City Hall. In 1983, the building became a county office.

 

History:  The county was created in 1860 and Jefferson was selected as the county seat. The county met in various places until the first courthouse was a two story Greek Revival structure designed by Thomas Hinkle and built in 1870 to 1874 outside the town. The building burned in 1837. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1912 to 1913.

 

 

0929t17

County Courthouse – Jefferson

 

 

1300t10

 

 

1301t10

 

 

1303t10

 

 

1305t10

 

 

1306t10

 

 

1307t10

 

 

0932t17

 

 

0933t17

 

 

1308t10

 

 

1309t10

 

 

1310t10

 

 

1311t10

 

 

0938t17

Muphy Building – Jefferson

 

 

341t19

 

 

344t19

 

 

0940t17

Photos taken 2010, 2017 and 2019