Madison County is named for James Madison, who was the fourth President of the United States of America.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Houston County
W – Brazos County
Created: February 2, 1853
Madisonville 1853 – present
County Courthouse – Madisonville
Location: 101 West Main Street / South Elm Street
Built: 1968 – 1969
Architect: Dickson, Buckley & Bullock
Contractor: J H Spruiell Construction Company
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story concrete and red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Madisonville. The northwest front has a recessed center section with a canopy extending over the first story entrance. Above is a clock with large windows on either side. A horizontal white colored band runs along the flat roof line. The east and west sections project from the main building and have vertical white colored pilasters. The southeast side of the building has a central wing. In the interior, the District Court courtroom is located on the second story and the County Court courtroom is located in the basement. The building houses the State District Court, County Court at Law and County Justice Court.
Note: The Constitutionasl County Court is located in the County Courthouse Annex at 103 West Trinity Street on the south side of the courthouse.
History: The county was created in 1853 and Madisonville was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in 1854. The second courthouse was built in 1860 and burned in 1865. The third courthouse was built in 1870 and burned on January 20, 1873. The county used rented premises until the fourth courthouse was designed by F S Glover and built in 1896 at a cost of $27,250 and burned on May 14, 1967. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1968 to 1969.
County Courthouse - Madisonville
Picture 1896 County Courthouse
Photos taken 2014, 2017 and 2019