Lipscomb County is named for Abner Smith Lipscomb, who was a justice of the Texas Supreme Court from 1846 to 1856 and secretary of state of the Republic of Texas in 1840.
Created: August 21, 1876
Lipscomb 1876 – present
County Courthouse – Lipscomb
Location: 100 South Main Avenue / Main Street
Built: 1915 – 1916
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: William M Rice of Amarillo
Contractor: William M Rice of Amarillo and Edward S Altmiller
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west front has a large portico supported by four large white colored columns rising to a pediment above the roof line. A wide cornice runs below the flat roof line. The courtroom is located on the second story.
See: The contractor, William M Rice of Amarillo, also constructed courthouses as W M Rice Construction Company in Bailey County, Briscoe County, Cochran County, Freestone County, Limestone County, Oldham County, Parmer County and Wood County and designed the courthouse in Lynn County..
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1887.
N – Beaver County, Oklahoma
E – Ellis County, Oklahoma
S – Hemphill County
W – Ochiltree County
Photos taken 2010