La Salle County is named for Rene Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle, who was a French explorer in the 17th century.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Frio County
E – McMullen County
S – Webb County
Created: February 1, 1858
Gravey’s Rancho 1880 – 1883
Cotulla 1883 – present
County Courthouse – Cotulla
Location: 101 Courthouse Square / South Stewart Street
Built: 1931 – 1932
Architect: Henry Truman Phelps of San Antonio
Contractor: Southwest Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the city. The east front has a projecting center section with ornamental designs. There are ornamental designs along the roof line with white colored tipped sections rising at the top of the vertical brick dividers. Between the first and second floor windows are decorative panels. The building was renovated in 2009 to 2012. The architect was Kills Almond and the contractor was Stoddard Construction Company.
See: The architect Henry Truman Phelps of San Antonio, Texas
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1884 and was destroyed by arson in 1896. The second courthouse was constructed in 1897 and replaced by the third courthouse in 1904. This building was demolished when the third and present courthouse was constructed.
County Courthouse - Cotulla
Photos taken 2009, 2014 and 2019