Kimble County is named for George C Kimble, who died at the Battle of Alamo.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Menard County
W – Sutton County
Created: January 22, 1858
Kimbleville 1876 – 1877
Junction 1877 – present
County Courthouse – Junction
Location: 501 Main Street / North 6th Street
Built: 1928 – 1929
Architect: Henry Truman Phelps of San Antonio
Contractor: E D Porter
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on the spacious landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Junction. The building has a raised basement. The west front has a protruding center section with vertical bands of stone between the windows and around the entrance. At the top of this section is a clock and horizontal bands of stone. There are north and south wings. In the interior, the first story has a cross-axial plan with central crossing corridors. There is a courtroom at the southeast corner. The staircase at the east corridor ascends to the second story and has mosaic tile treads and risers. The District Court courtroom has the original cork tile floor and the original stained wood judge’s bench. The building houses the State District Court, Constitutional County Court and County Justice Court. The building was renovated and expanded in 1974.
See: The architect Henry Truman Phelps of San Antonio, Texas
See: National Register of Historic Places – Kimble County Courthouse
History: The county was created in 1858 and was attached to Gillespie County for judicial purposes. Kimbleville was selected as the county seat in 1876 when the county was organized. The court met under the trees along the Llano River In 1877, the county seat was moved to Junction. The first courthouse was a two story frame structure built in 1878. The building burned on April 22, 1884. The second courthouse was a two story stone structure designed by Alfred Giles and built by J M Piper in 1885 at a cost of $14,500 and was destroyed by fire on June 2, 1888. The building was rebuilt and served until 1929. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1928 to 1929 at a cost of $81,047.
County Courthouse - Junction
Photos taken 2006 and 2017