Kerr County is named for James Kerr, who was a congressman of the Republic of Texas.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Kendall County
S – Bandera County
Created: January 26, 1856
Kerrville 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Kerrville
Location: 700 Main Street / Sidney Baker Street
Built: 1926 – 1927
Style: Beaux Arts / Georgian Revival
Architect: Adams & Adams
Contractor: W C Thrailkill
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has an arched entrance in the center of the building with small balcony above. The cornice projects from the building and the east and west wings are recessed. The roof center rises above the roof line. In 1977, an annex was constructed on the north side. The architect was A B Swank and the contractor was WACO Construction Inc. The engineer was Lester Whitton.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1876 and later became the jail. The second and previous courthouse was designed by Alfred Giles and constructed by D C Anderson in 1886. The building was destroyed by fire in 1925.
County Courthouse - Kerrville
Photos taken 2009 and 2017