Kenedy County

US States / O-U / Texas / Kenedy County
1414T14

Kenedy County is named for Mifflin Kenedy, who was an early rancher in the area.

 

Created:  April 2, 1921

County Seat: 

Sarita  1921 – present

 

County Courthouse – Sarita 

 

Location:  101 North Mallory Street / La Parra Street

Built:  1916 – 1917

Style:  Texas Renaissance

Architect:  Henry Truman Phelps of San Antonio

Contractor:  I A Walker

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the town. The east front has a center section with four large columns rising to a wide header at the roof line. The windows along the first story are narrow and vertical. A wide  cornice runs below the flat roof line. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was restored in 2010. The architect was Lord, Aeck & Sargent Architects and the contractor was JC Stoddard Construction and Mid-Continental Restoration Co., Inc. To the east is the one story Justice Court Building..

 

See:  The architect Henry Truman Phelps of San Antonio, Texas

 

Note:  The courthouse was constructed at a cost of $19,000 for Willacy County. When Kenedy County was created, the Willacy County seat moved to Raymondville and courthouse became the courthouse for Kenedy County. The cost of restoration in 2010 was $4,000,000.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Kleberg County

E – Gulf of Mexico

S – Willacy County 

W – Hildalgo County and Brooks County 

 

 

 

1411t14

County Courthouse

 

 

1415t14

 

 

1412t14

 

 

1417t14

 

 

2580t19

 

 

2581t19

 

 

2582t19

 

 

2583t19

 

 

2584t19

 

 

2585t19

 

 

2586t19

 

 

2587t19

 

 

2588t19

 

 

2589t19

 

 

492texas06

Courthouse in 2006 before restoration

 

 

2590t19

County Justice Court Building

 

 

1420t14

 

 

2592t19

 

 

2591t19

 

 

2593t19

 

 

2594t19

 

 

2595t19

 

 

2596t19

Photos taken 2006, 2014 and 2019