Kendall County is named for George Wilkins Kendall, who was an early journalist and sheep rancher.
Created: January 10, 1862
Boerne 1862 – present
County Courthouse – Boerne
Location: 201 East San Antonio Street / South Saunders Street
Built: 1998 – 1999
Architect: Rehler, Vaughan & Koone Inc. of San Antonio
Contractor: Browning Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story cream colored limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city opposite the old courthouse and old jail. The north front has a projecting center section with arched entrances on the first story and rises to the roof. The south part of the building extends outwards. Horizontal bands of polished limestone runs along the building. The roof is hipped and gray colored metal.
Old County Courthouse – Boerne
Location: 204 East San Antonio Street / Watt Street
Built: 1869 – 1871
Architect: Philip Zoeller
Contractor: J F Stendebach
Description: The building faces south and is a two story limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city on the north side of the present courthouse. The south front has three central arches with recessed entrance. There is a balcony on the second story. The corners are hexagonal. In 1886, the second story was constructed. The architect was Charles Buckel and the contractor was Oches & Walsh. The building was expanded in 1909. The architect was Alfred Gillis and the contractor was E H Clemens. The building was restored in 2009 to 2010. The architect was Wagner & Klein of Fredericksburg and the contractor was M J Boyle of San Antonio. On the north side is the old limestone jail built in 1884.
Note: In 1869, the bid for masonry was $1787.40 by J F Stendebach and carpentry was $1495,00 by J V Phillip. Philip Zoeller supervised construction.
Note: The courthouse is the second oldest courthouse in Texas which is still in use. The oldest courthouse is located in Cass County (1861) and the third oldest courthouse is located in Lampasas County (1883).
E – Comal County
W – Kerr County
Old County Courthouse
Old County Jail
Photos taken 2009 and 2017