Jones County

US States / O-U / Texas / Jones County

Jones County is named for Anson Jones, who was the fifth President of the Republic of Texas.


Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Stonewall County and Haskell County

E – Shackelford County

S – Taylor County

W – Fisher County


Created:  February 1, 1858                    Map of Texas highlighting Jones County

County Seat: 

Phantom Hill  1881

Jones City     1881 – 1882

Anson            1882 – present


County Courthouse – Anson


Location:  1100 12th Street / Commercial Street

Built:  1909 – 1910

Style:  Beaux Arts

Architect:  Elmer George Withers

Contractor:  Texas Building Company


Description:  The building faces south and is a three story pinkish colored brick, steel and concrete structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Anson. The building has a raised basement. The south front has a protruding section with two tall red colored sandstone columns. The header has three round windows with the pediment above. The base of the building is dark reddish sandstone. In the centre of the roof is a square brick tower with black colored dome with large clock and a white colored statue of Justice on top. In the interior, there is a cruciform plan with a long east-west corridor and a short north-south corridor. The corridors have gray colored marble wainscoting and gray colored plaster walls with molded cornices. The floors are gray, white and black colored ceramic tiles. On the second story is the District Court courtroom which has chandeliers and a hand painted ceiling with green and gold colored tones. The third story has the Commissioners Court. The building houses the State District Court, Constitutional County Court and County Justice Court. 


History:  The county was created in 1858 and Phantom Hill was selected as the county seat in 1881 when the county was organized. In 1881, the county seat was moved to Jones City where the court met in the home of W H Smith. The county seat was moved to Anson in 1882. The first courthouse was a frame structure built by Frank Huie in 1882. The second courthouse was a hotel purchased in 1884 at a cost of $2,250. The third courthouse was a brick structure built in 1886 at a cost of $23,000. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1909 to 1910 at a cost of $84,627.




County Courthouse – Anson

































Anson Jones statue







Photos taken 2006 and 2014