Jim Hogg County is named for James Stephen Hogg, who was the twentieth governor of Texas from 1891 t0 1895.
Created: March 31, 1913
Hebbronville 1913 – present
County Courthouse – Hebbronville
Location: 102 East Tiley Street / North Smith Street
Built: 1912 – 1913
Style: Texas Renaissance
Architect: Henry Truman Phelps of San Antonio
Contractor: Ewing & Mager of Corpus Christie
Description: The building faces west and is a two story white colored plaster with pink colored trim and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west front has a large portico supported by four pillars rising to a header at the roof line. The recessed entrance is framed with a fanlight above the door and on the second story is a small balcony. On the south side is a small porch. The roof line is flat. The building was remodeled in 1981 and cover with plaster. The architect was Lyendecker & Cavazos and the contractor was Leyendecker Construction. On the southeast side is a one story concrete annex. On the northeast side is the old white colored two story County Jail.
See: The architect Henry Truman Phelps of San Antonio, Texas
Note: The courthouse is the first and only courthouse built in the County.
N – Duval County
E – Brooks County
S – Starr County
Courthouse in 2019
Old County Jail
Jail in 2019
Photos taken 2014 and 2019