Hudspeth County is named for Claude Benton Hudspeth, who was a state congressman, rancher and newspaper publisher.
Created: February 16, 1917
Sierra Blanca 1917
County Courthouse – Sierra Blanca
Location: 201 West Millican Street / North Williams Street
Built: 1918 – 1919
Architect: Bradford Hardie of Btradford and Hardie of El Paso
Contractor: Bradford and Hardie ( Supervisor )
Description: The building faces south and is a one story reddish pink colored adobe brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious grounds in the center of the city. The building is a “T” shape and is built of adobe brick. The walls are 18 inches thick. The east and west wings are lower in height. The low roof is hipped. The north wing houses a community room. The large courtroom is located on the west side of the entrance and the smaller County Court courtroom is located in the east wing. The building was restored in 2002 to 2004.
Note: The present courthouse is the first and only courthouse built in the County. The cost of construction was $35,000. Lang & Mitchell were hired as the architect in1918 but were released. Bradford & Hardie prepared the plans and three bids were received but rejected and Bradford & Hardie were hired to supervise construction in 1918.
N – Otero County, New Mexico
E – Culberson County
S – Jeff Davis County and Mexico
W – Mexico and El Paso County
Photos taken 2014