Howard County is named for Volney Eskine Howard, who was a United States Representative from Texas.
Created: August 21, 1876
Big Spring 1876 – present
County Courthouse – Big Spring
Location: 300 South Main Street / West 3rd Street
Built: 1952 – 1953
Architect: Puckett & French
Contractor: B F Horn Company
Description: The building faces north and is a four story buff colored brick, concrete and tile structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The rectangular shaped building has a projecting center section with three vertical openings and recessed entrance. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built by J H Milliken in 1884. The second and previous red sandstone courthouse was designed by Lang & Witchell and constructed by L B Westerman in 1908.
County District Court – Big Spring
Location: 373 Scurry Street / West 4th Street
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the west of the courthouse. The east front has a recessed center section with vertical pilasters. The north and south sections project from the main building and have vertical windows. The roof line is flat.
N – Borden County
E – Mitchell County
W – Martin County
County District Court
Photos taken 2014