Hidalgo County

US States / O-U / Texas / Hidalgo County
1546T14

Hidalgo County is named for Miguel Hidalgo y  Costilla, who was a priest and who raised a call for the independence of Mexico.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Brooks County 

E – Kenedy County, Willacy County and Cameron County 

S – Mexico

W – Starr County 

 

Created:  January 24, 1852                    Map of Texas highlighting Hidalgo County

County Seat: 

Edinburg  1852 – 1886

Hidalgo    1886 – 1908

Edinburg  1908 – present

 

Former County Courthouse – Edinburg

 

Location:  100 North Closer Boulevard / West McIntyre Street

Built:  1953 – 1954

Style:  Modern

Architect:  R Newell Waters

Contractor:  Noser Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faced east and was a five story stone faced structure. The building was located on landscaped grounds in the center of Edinburg. The center section rose five stories with windows on the north and south sides. The east and west sides were faced with a yellow-brown colored polished stone. The south wing with the main entrance, was one story with white colored polished stone on the upper half and dark glass on the lower half. The north wing was three stories and was covered with a yellow-brown colored polished stone.

 

County Courthouse – Edinburg

 

2614t19_0

 

Location:  100 North Closer Boulevard / West McIntyre Street

Built:  2019 – 2021

Style:  Modern

Architect:  ERO Architects and HDR Engineering of Omaha, Nebraska

Contractor:  Jabobs Project Management Company and Morganti Texas, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a seven glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Edinburg. The building contains 31 courtroom one of which houses the Court of Appeal. The building houses the State District Court, Constitutional County Court, County Court at Law and Probate Court.

 

 

Old County Courthouse – Hidalgo

 

1566t14

 

Location:  NW – Flora Street / 1st Street

Built:  1886

Style:  Federal

Architect:  S W Brooks

Contractor:  Juan Rios

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a one story buff colored brick structure. The building served as the courthouse until 1908 when the county seat was moved to Edinburg in 1908. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a central entrance. There are vertical brick pilasters around the building. The roof is hipped. On the north side is the old two story buff colored brick jail.

 

History:  The county was created in 1852 and Edinburg was selected as the county seat. The county used rented premises. In 1886, the county seat was moved to Hidalgo. The first courthouse was built in 1886 and is still standing. The county seat was moved back to Edinburg in 1908. The second courthouse was a two story frame structure built in 1908. The third courthouse was constructed at a cost of $1,500,000. The courthouse was demolished. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 2018 to 2021 ay a cost of $150,000,000.

 

Other Courthouses / Court of Appeals

 

Edinburg (  Thirteenth Court of Appeals  ) 

 

 

1545t14

County Courthouse – Edinburg 

 

 

1548t14

 

 

1549t14

 

 

1550t14

 

 

1552t14

 

 

1554t14

 

 

1555t14

 

 

1556t14

 

 

2614t19

New Courthouse construction 2019

 

 

2616t19

 

 

1564t14

Old County Courthouse – Hidalgo

 

 

1565t14

 

 

1568t14

 

 

1570t14

 

 

1571t14

Old County Jail – Hidalgo

 

 

1574t14

 

 

1575t14

Photos taken 2006, 2014 and 2019