Harrison County is named for Jonas Harrison, who was a lawyer and a Texas revolutionary.
Created: January 28, 1839
Marshall 1839 – present
Old County Courthouse – Marshall
Location: Courthouse Square / East Houston Street
Built: 1900 – 1901
Style: Renaissance Revival and Beaux Arts
Architect: James Reily Gordon of San Antonio and C G Lancaster
Contractor: Sonnefield & Emmis
Description: The building faces east and is a three story yellow colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building has porticoes on three sides with arches on the first story and four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There is a balustrade along the roof. On the center of the roof is a large octagonal dome with clocks, gold colored roof and lantern at the top. Additions were constructed in 1925 and 1927. The architect was C D Lancaster. The building was renovated in 2008 to 2009. The contractor was RBR Construction Inc.
See: The architect James Riely Gordon of San Antonio, Texas
Note: The first courthouse was a log structure built in 1839. The second courthouse was built in 1848. The third courthouse was an Italianate structure designed by Tozer & McQuirk and constructed in 1889. The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1899. The fourth Courthouse was constructed at a cost of $62,000 in 1900 The fifth and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $1,200,000.
County Courthouse – Marshall
Location: 200 West Houston Street / Wellington Street
Built: 1963 – 1964
Architect: Turnbull Inc.
Contractor: A P Kasch & Sons
Description: The building faces north and is a four story glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city to the west of the old courthouse. The northeast entrance section projects from the main building. And has a glass wall on the north side. The north side is divided by vertical concrete dividers with glass walls between. The roof line is flat.
N – Marion County
E – Caddo Parish, Louisiana
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2010 and 2017