Hardin County is named for Hardin, a family from Liberty County in Texas.
Created: January 22, 1858
Hardin 1858 – 1886
Kountze 1886 – present
County Courthouse – Kountze
Location: 300 West Monroe Street / Pecan Street
Built: 1958 – 1959
Architect: Dickson-Dickson & Associates
Contractor: Lumbeck Construction Company of Houston
Description: The building faces north and is a three story glass and concrete structure. The north front has stone facing with clock at the west side and horizontal windows with green-blue colored dividers. The roof line is flat. At the northwest corner is the cupola from the old courthouse which is connected to the main building by an enclosed passage. The building was enlarged in 1978. The architect was Dickson, Dickson Bullock and the contractor was Daniels Construction Company
Note: The first courthouse was built in Hardin in 1859. The second courthouse was built in 1872 and burned in 1886 resulting in the move of the county seat to Kountze. The third courthouse was a three story stone structure designed by Andrew P Bryan and constructed by M T Lewman & Company in 1904. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $1,500,000.
S – Jefferson County
W – Liberty County
Dome from 1904 Courthouse
Picture 1904 Courthouse
Photos taken 2011