Hale County is named for John C Hale, who was killed at the Battle of San Jacinto.
Created: August 21, 1876
Plainview 1888 – present
County Courthouse – Plainview
Location: 500 Broadway Street / East 5th Street
Built: 1909 – 1910
Style: Texas Renaissance and Beaux Arts
Architect: H A Overbeck of Martin, Byrne & Johnston
Contractor: W T McRae
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building has a small portico with two double white colored columns and balcony on the north front. There is stone trim around the windows and decoration on the third floor brick. Stone trim is along the horizontal cornice near the roof line. On the building center is a rounded yellow colored dome. The large courtroom is located on the third story and the small courtroom is located on the second story. The building was renovated in 1980. The architect was L James Robinson and the contractor was Bell and Cook.
Note: The first courthouse was a wood structure built in 1888 at a cost of $2,500. The second courthouse was a two story frame structure built by Martin, Byrne and Johnston in 1890. The third and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $70,000. The remodeling in 1980 was $1,000,000.
County Justice Center – Plainview
Location: 225 Broadway Street / West 3rd Street
Description: The building faces south and is a one story red colored brick and concrete Commercial style structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds south of the courthouse and is named as the Day Boyd LaFront Justice Center. On the south side is a wide porch with recessed glass entrance. The east side has a central glass section. The rectangular shaped building contains two courtrooms. The roof line is flat.
E – Floyd County
S – Lubbock County
W – Lamb County
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2006, 2016 and 2019