Grimes County is named for Jesse Grimes, who was a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and an early settler.
Created: April 6, 1846
Anderson 1846 – present
County Courthouse – Anderson
Location: 100 South Main Street / Buffington Street
Built: 1892 – 1893
Architect: F S Glover
Contractor: G T Macon & Thomas C Foster
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story buff colored brick and stone structure. The building sits in the center of The Courthouse Circle in the center of the city The south front has a central section which projects from the main building, rises to a peak at the roof line and has an arched recessed entrance on the first story. A dual staircase rises to the second story entrance. The north part of the building projects outward and the corners are trimmed with stone. On the center of the roof is a square cupola with sloped roof. The roof is hipped. The building was restored in 2002. On the north side is the County Clerk’s Office.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1838 and burned the same year. The second courthouse was designed by W W Arington and built by M N Taylor & McKipak in 1850. The building burned in 1890. The third courthouse was designed by Jacob Larmour of Lamour & Watson and constructed by J O Wilson & J A Wilson in 1891. The building burned in 1893 and the fourth and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $12,597.
N – Madison County
S – Waller County
County Clerk’s Office
Photos taken 2014 and 2019