Gray County

US States / O-U / Texas / Gray County
0495NM07

Gray County is named for Peter W Gray, a lawyer and soldier in the American Civil War.

 

Created:  August 21, 1876

County Seat:

Lefors   1902 – 1928

Pampa  1928 – present

 

County Courthouse – Pampa

 

Location:  200 North Russell Street / Frost Street

Built:  1927 – 1928

Style:   Classical Revival and Beaux Arts

Architect:  William R Kaufman & Son

Contractor:  Harlan L Case Company

 

Description: The building faces south and is a four story red-brown colored brick and Texas limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front of the building faces onto a small park. The building has Georgian ornamentation. On the second story are small stone balconies. White colored Indiana limestone trim is around the windows and along the roof. The roof line has stone projections along the top. The foundation is Indiana limestone. The courtrooms are located on the west side of the second story and on the east side of the third story. The building was restored in 2003. The architect was Architexas Architecture and the contractor was Pheonix I Restoration and Construction Ltd.

 

See:  The architect, William Raymond Kaufman, designed courthouses in Cochran County and Freestone County.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was designed by S B Owens and constructed by N E Weckesser in Lefors in 1902 at a cost of $2,208. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1927 at a cost of $267,974.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Roberts County

E – Wheeler County

S – Donley County

W – Carson County

 

 

 

0496nm07

County Courthouse

 

 

0497nm07

 

 

0328tw14

 

 

0333tw14

 

 

0332tw14

 

 

0335tw14

 

 

0337tw14

 

 

716t19

 

 

717t19

 

 

718t19

 

 

719t19

 

 

720t19

 

 

721t19

 

 

722t19

 

 

723t19

 

 

724t19

 

 

0340tw14

 

 

725t19

 

 

0498nm07

Photos taken 2007, 2014 and 2019