Goliad County is named for the Mexican Municipality of Goliad, which was named for Father Miguel Hidalgo and is an anagram of Hidalgo, minus the silent ”h”.
Created: March 2, 1836
Goliad 1836 – present
County Courthouse – Goliad
Location: 127 Courthouse Square / South Commercial Street
Built: 1893 – 1894
Style: Second Empire
Architect: Henry M Guidon
Contractor: Martin, Byrnes and Johnston.
Description: The building faces north and is a three story limestone and brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has square stone towers topped by square cupolas on either side of the arched entrance on the first story. Above the entrance is an arched window and on the third story are three narrow windows with an iron balcony. On each corner of the building are large square towers with mansard roofs. On the building center is a high square clock tower with steep roof, which tower was restored in 2003 after being removed in 1942. The architect was TWC Architects.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1847. The second courthouse was built in 1855 but burned in 1870. The third courthouse was built in 1870.
S – Bee County
Photos taken 2009, 2014 and 2019