Glasscock County

US States / O-U / Texas / Glasscock County
1916T14

Glasscock County is named for George Washington Glasscock, who was an early settler in the Austin area.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Howard County

E – Sterling County

S – Reagan County

W – Midland County

 

Created:  April 4, 1887                            Map of Texas highlighting Glasscock County

County Seat: 

Garden City  1887 – present

 

County Courthouse – Garden City

 

Location:  117 East Currie Street / Main Street

Built:  1908 – 1909

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Edward Columbus Hosford of Atlanta, Georgia

Contractor:  Mutual Construction Company Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces west and is two story buff colored limestone, granite  and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Garden City. The building has a raised basement. The west front has a large portico with four Doric columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. On the pediment is ornamentation. The building has porticoes on all sides, each of which is supported by fourDoric columns. The roof is hipped. In the interior, the first story is a cruciform plan with an entrance on each of the four sides. Three of the original fireplaces remain visible. The courtroom is located in the center of the second story and has a balcony and the original wooden stairs. The building houses the State District Court, Constitutional County Court and County Justice Court To the northwest is the old two story stone jail which was used as the courthouse before the present building was constructed.

  

See:  The architect, Edward Columbus Hosford of Atlanta, Georgia.. The courthouse is similar to the courthouse in Mason County.

 

Old County Courthouse / Jail – Garden City

 

1926t14_0

 

Location:  117 East Currie Street / Main Street

Built:  1894

Style:  Jail

Architect:  L T Noyes.

Contractor:  L T Noyes.

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story buff colored limestone  structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the to the northwest of the courthouse. The south side of the square shaped building has a central entrance on the first story. The windows are arched and the roof line is flat. The building was used as a courthouse until the present courthouse was constructed. 

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Old County Jail / Courthouse

 

History:  The county was created in 1887 and Garden City was selected as the county seat in 1893 when the county was organized. The first courthouse was built in 1984 and is still standing. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1909 to 1910 at a cost of $28,000.

 

 

1915t14

County Courthouse - Garden City 

 

 

1918t14

 

 

1917t14

 

 

1919t14

 

 

1922t14

 

 

1923t14

 

 

1924t14

 

 

1921t14

 

 

1925t14

Old County Courthouse / Jail - Garden City 

 

 

1927t14

Photos taken 2014