Frio County is named for the Rio River which is named after the Spanish word “frio” meaning “cold”.
Created: February 1, 1858
Frio Town 1871 – 1883
Pearsall 1883 – present
County Courthouse – Pearsall
Location: 500 East San Antonio Street / South Walnut Street
Built: 1903 – 1904
Architect: Henry Truman Phelps of San Antonio
Contractor: R O Langworthy
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete style structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a projecting center section with arched entrance and recessed doorway on the first story. On the east and west are one story projecting sections with higher sections behind. White colored trim is above and below the windows. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the west side of the second story and the Commissioners Court is located on the southeast side of the first story.The building was altered in 1937 and 1950.
See: The architect Henry Truman Phelps of San Antonio, Texas
Note: The first and second courthouses were built in Frio Town in 1871 and 1872 and burned in 1877. The third courthouse in Frio Town was built by W J Slaughter in 1878 is still standing 16 miles northwest of Pearsall on highway 140. The fourth courthouse was constructed in Pearsall.
N – Medina County
E – Atascosa County
S – La Salle County
W – Zavala County
Old County Jail
Photos taken 2009 and 2019