Freestone County is named for a type of peach called “freestone”.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Navarro County
E – Anderson County
S – Leon County
W – Limestone County
Created: September 6, 1850
Fairfield 1850 – present
County Courthouse – Fairfield
Location: 118 East Commerce Street / South Mount Street
Built: 1918 – 1919
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: W R Kaufman
Contractor: William M Rice
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Fairfield. The south front has a portico supported by four white colored columns rising to the top of the second story. Above the portico the third story rises to a parapet at the roof line. On the east and west sides are two column porticoes. A horizontal belt runs above the second story windows. The base of the building is dark colored brick. The large District Court courtroom is located on the second story and the County Court courtroom is located at the southwest corner of the first story. On the north side are two courthouses annexes.
See: The contractor, William M Rice, also constructed courthouses as W M Rice Construction Company in Bailey County, Briscoe County, Cochran County, Limestone County, Lipscomb County, Oldham County, Parmer County and Wood County and designed the courthouse in Lynn County..
History: The county was created in 1850 and Fairfield was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in 1851. The second courthouse was built in 1855 at a cost of $7,830. The third courthouse was built in 1891. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $136,000.
County Courthouse - Fairfield
County District Court - Fairfield
County Court - Fairfield
County Courthouse Annex – Fairfield
County Courthouse Annex - Fairfield
Photos taken 2010, 2014 and 2019