Floyd County is named for Dolphin Ward Floyd, who was an Alamo martyr.
Created: August 21, 1876
Floydada 1876 – present
County Courthouse – Floydada
Location: 100 South Main Street / East Missouri Street
Built: 1949 – 1950
Architect: Marvin Stitles
Contractor: Dolph Construction Company.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west front has stone trim around the entrance. The center section rises above the north and south wings. The windows in the center section are large with panels between the first and second stories. The windows in the wings are smaller but have the same dividing panels. On the northeast side of the courthouse is the three story buff colored brick County Jail.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1892. The second courthouse was designed by L L Thurmon & Company and constructed by L L Wright in 1911. The building was destroyed by fire in 1948.
E – Motley County
S – Crosby County
W – Hale County
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2006 and 2014