Ector County

US States / O-U / Texas / Ector County
1957T14

Ector County is named for Mathew Ector, who was a Confederate general.

 

Created:  February 26, 1887

County Seat: 

Odessa  1887 – present

 

County Courthouse – Odessa

 

Location:  300 North Grant Avenue / East 3rd Street

Built:  1938 – 1939

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Elmer Withers

Contractor:  James T Taylor of Fort Worth

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a three story white colored grill work concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city. The top stories overhang the building with pillars along the first story. The central entrance is along the southwest front. The roof line is flat. The District Court courtroom is located on the third story and the County Court courtroom was located on the second story. The current structure was built in 1963 around the old courthouse. The architect was Peters and Fields and the contractor was J W Cooper Construction Company, Inc. An addition was constructed in 1985. The architect was Peters and Fields and the contractor was J W Cooper Construction Company, Inc.

 

Note:  The County was organized in 1891. The first courthouse in 1891 was a frame remodeled town sanitarium moved to the present square. The second courthouse was constructed in 1904 by G W Brillhart. The third courthouse was constructed in 1937 as a four story Art Deco structure. The cost of construction was $141,599. In 1964, the building was substantially altered and modernized.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Andrews County

E – Midland County

S – Crane County

W – Winkler County

 

 

 

1958t14

County Courthouse

 

 

1959t14

 

 

1960t14

 

 

1961t14

 

 

1962t14

 

 

1963t14

 

 

1964t14

 

 

1297t19

 

 

1300t19

 

 

1309t19

 

 

1310t19

 

 

1311t19

 

 

1312t19

 

 

1313t19

 

 

1314t19

 

 

1315t19

 

 

1301t19

 

 

1303t19

 

 

1304t19

 

 

1305t19

 

 

1306t19

 

 

1307t19

 

 

t

 

 

1966t14

 

 

1975t14

 

 

1294t19

 

 

1967t14

Picture 1904 Courthouse

 

 

1968t14

Cornerstone 1904 Courthouse

 

 

1969t14

 

 

1976t14

Photos taken 2014 and 2019