Dimmit County is named for Philip Dimmitt, who was a major figure in the Texas Revolution.
Created: February 1, 1858
Carrizo Springs 1880 – present
County Courthouse – Carrizo Springs
Location: 303 North 5th Street / Pena Street
Built: 1883 – 1884
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: J C Breeding & Sons of San Antonio
Contractor: J Thompson
Description: The building faces east and is a one story yellowish colored course sandstone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building was originally an Italianate style structure but was remodeled in 1927 when the second story was removed. The east front has a large portico supported by two large round columns and two large square columns with a wide white stone header on top. A protruding stone cornice runs below the roofline. The building was remodeled in 1925 and completed in 1927. The architect was Henry T Philips and the contractor was San Antonio Construction Company.The building was renovated in 2002 to 2004. The architect was Frank Architects Inc. of Laredo and the contractor was Stoddard Construction of San Antonio.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1880. The second courthouse may have used the plans of architect Alfred Giles who had submitted plans. He was paid $400 as settlement.
N – Zavala County
E – La Salle County
S – Webb County
W – Maverick County
Photos taken 2006 and 2014