Dawson County is named for Nicholas Mosby Dawson, who was a soldier during the Texas Revolution.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Borden County
S – Martin County
W – Gaines County
Created: August 21, 1876
Lamesa 1905 – present
County Courthouse – Lamesa
Location: 400 1st Street / Austin Avenue
Built: 1915 – 1916
Style: Texas Renaissance
Architect: Sanquinet and Staats
Contractor: Ralph P Taylor
Description: The building faces north and is a four story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious grounds in the center of Lamesa. The original building is rectangular. The east and west sides have projecting center sections with recessed entrances with murals above. The roof line is flat. In the interior, the County Court courtroom is located on the fourth story and the District Court courtroom is located on the third story. The building houses the State District Court, Constitutional County Court and County Justice Court. The annex was added on the south side in 1952 to 1953. The architect was Allen and Allen and the contractor was Suggs Construction Company Inc. In 1975, the building was restored. The architect was Harvey C Allen and the contractor was Joel G Fletcher.
History: The county was created in 1876 and attached to Howard County for judicial purposes. Lamesa was selected as the county seat in 1905 when the county was organized. The first courthouse was a two story frame structure built by F C Maupin in 1905 at a cost of $2,849. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1915 to 1916 and was remodeled in 1952 to 1953 at a cost of $275,000.
County Courthouse - Lamesa
County Court coutroom
Photos taken 2014 and 2019