Crockett County is named for David Crockett, who was a legendary frontiersman and who died at the Battle of the Alamo.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
S – Val Verde County
Created: January 22, 1875
Ozona 1875 – present
County Courthouse – Ozona
Location: 908 Avenue D / 11th Street
Built: 1901 – 1902
Style: Second Empire
Architect: Oscar Ruffini
Contractor: Charles Schumm
Description: The building faces west and is a two story stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Ozona. The west front has a wide porch on the first story with eight columns rising to a balcony on the second story which has a large arched windows with pediment at the roof line. At each corner of the building is a large square tower with steep roof. On the north and south sides are small porches. On the front of the roof is a large square cupola with mansard roof. The interior has wood wainscoting, stairs and furnishings. The large courtroom is located on the south side of the second story and has stained glass fan-light windows. The building houses the State District Court, Constitutional County Court and County Justice Court. On the east side of the building is the one story stone County Administration Building and County Courthouse Annex. To the northeast is the old County Jail (1892).
History: The county was created in 1875 and Ozona was selected as the county seat in 1891 when the county was organized. The first courthouse was built in 1891 by Sam T Smith, the town’s carpenter. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1901 to 1903 at a cost of $30,000.
County Courthouse - Ozona
County Administration Building - Ozona
County Courthouse Annex - Ozona
Photos taken 2014 and 2019