Cooke County is named for William Gordon Cooke, who was a soldier during the Texas Revolution
Created: March 20, 1848
Gainesville 1848 – present
County Courthouse – Gainesville
Location: 100 South Dixon Street / California Street
Built: 1910 – 1911
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Otto Lang and Frank Mitchell of Dallas and Garrett & Collins
Contractor: M P Kelly
Description: The building faces west and is a three story reddish colored brick and limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west and east fronts have a projecting center section with four limestone framed arches on the first story and four columns rising from the second to the top of the third story. The first story is faced with limestone and the top stories are reddish colored brick. On the center of the roof is a large square brick clock tower with rounded copper clad dome. The courtrooms are located at the northwest and southwest corners of the second story. The building was renovated in 2006.
Note: The first courthouse was a log structure built in 1850 and replaced by a one story frame courthouse built in 1853. The third and previous limestone courthouse was built in 1878 to 1880 and burned in 1909.
N – Love County, Oklahoma
E – Grayson County
W – Montague County
Photos taken 2009 and 2019