Collingsworth County is named for James Collinsworth, who was a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and the first chief justice of the Republic of Texas ( error in name spelling of James Collinsworth ).
Created: August 21, 1876
Wellington 1876 – present
County Courthouse – Wellington
Location: 800 West Avenue / 8th Street
Built: 1930 – 1931
Style: Texas Renaissance and Art Deco
Architect: Berry & Hatch
Contractor: Christy-Dolph Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick, concrete and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a projecting central entrance with two arches on the first story. Pilasters rise from the second story to the roof line with friezes at the top. There are friezes between the windows. The building rises in tiers and the roof line is flat.
See: The architect, Berry & Hatch, also designed the courthouse in Moore County.
Note: The previous courthouse was built by J A White in 1893.
N – Wheeler County
S – Childress County
W – Donley County
Photos taken 2014