Collin County is named for Collin McKinney, who was one of the five men who drafted the Texas Declaration of Independence.
Created: April 3, 1846
Buckner 1846 – 1848
McKinney 1848 – present
County Courthouse – McKinney
Location: 2100 Bloomdale Road / North Central Expressway
Built: 2005 – 2007
Architect: Pierce, Goodwin, Alexander & Linville ( PGAL )
Contractor: Hunt Consulting Group
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red and buff colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped ground to the south of the center of the city. The south front has a high center section with two large columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story and in front is a one story glass enclosed porch with columns. On the east and west are large arched windows with red brick on the second and third stories. The corner sections project slightly and form square towers. On the center of the roof is a black colored glass dome.
See: The architect, Pierce, Goodwin, Alexander & Linville ( PGAL ) designed courthouses in Florida in Indian River County, in Louisiana in Saint Tammany Parish and in Texas in Fort Bend County and Harris County.
Old County Courthouse – McKinney
Location: 111 North Tennessee Street / E Virginia Street
Built: 1874 – 1876
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Charles Wheelock
Contractor: Charles King and O J King
Description: The building faces north and a three story buff colored brick structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of Courthouse Square in the center of the city. The east side has two one story porticoes with projecting sections. On the south and north sides have arched entrances on the first story and two double columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story with clock at the roof line. The roof line is flat.The building was rebuilt in 1927. The architect was Sparger & Peters and the contractor was A J Rife.
County Administration ( demolished ) – McKinney
Location: 210 South McDonald Street / West Davis Street
Built: 1977 – 1978
Architect: Jarvis, Putty, Jarvis Inc. and Harvey G Moore
Contractor: Howard U Freeman, Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a seven story buff colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The east front has a rectangular framed entrance. The center three stories are recessed with glass walls. The next story has narrow vertical windows and the top has side projections rising above the roof line. The building served as the courthouse from 1979 to 2007 and was torn down in 2012.
Note: The first courthouse was a log cabin built in 1846. The second courthouse was a two story frame structure built in 1848. The third courthouse was a stone structure built in 1859. The fourth courthouse was a two story brick structure designed by Charles Wheeler and constructed by O J King in 1874. The fifth courthouse was a three story brick structure designed by W A Peters and constructed by Rife Construction Company in 1927. The sixth courthouse was a brick and concrete structure constructed in 1979. The seventh and present courthouse was constructed in 2005.
E – Hunt County
W – Denton County
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2006. 2010 and 2017