Cochran County is named for Robert E Cochran, who was a defender of the Alamo.
Created: August 21, 1876
Morton 1876 – present
County Courthouse – Morton
Location: 100 North Main Street / Washington Avenue
Built: 1925 – 1926
Style: Texas Renaissance
Architect: William Raymond Kaufman
Contractor: William M Rice Construction Company of Amarillo
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick, steel and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds. The center section rises three stories with two story north and south wings. Vertical pilasters run across the front with a central recessed entrance on the first story. There are vertical panels between the windows. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the east side of the second story. An addition was constructed in 1967. The architect was Stiles, Roberts and Messersmith and the contractor was H R Bundock Inc. In 1985, an elevator was constructed. The architect was MWM Architects and the contractor was Knox, Gailey & Meador.
See: The contractor, William M Rice of Amarillo, also constructed courthouses as W M Rice Construction Company in Bailey County, Briscoe County, Freestone County, Limestone County, Lipscomb County, Oldham County, Parmer County and Wood County and designed the courthouse in Lynn County..
Note : The County was administered by Lubbock County and Hockley Countil until 1924. The cost of construction of the first and present courthouse was $126,000.
N – Bailey County
E – Hockley County
S – Yoakum County
Photos taken 2014 and 2019