Childress County is named for George Campbell Childress, who was one of the authors of the Texas Declaration of Independence.
Created: August 21, 1876
Childress 1876 – present
County Courthouse – Childress
Location: 100 Avenue East NW / Avenue F NE
Built: 1938 – 1939
Style: Art Deco and Moderne
Architect: Townes & Funk
Contractor: C S Lambie & Company
Description: The building faces southwest and is a five story limestone and concrete structure. The southwest front has a recessed two story center section with four columns and recessed entrance on the first story. Each corner has a projecting section rising three stories. The center of the building rises to five stories. The roof line is flat. The building was a Public Works Administration project. On the northeast corner of the grounds is the old Jail built in 1905. Also on the grounds are the corner stones from the previous courthouse.
See: The contractor, C S Lambie & Company, also constructed courthouses in New Mexico in Quaty County, Roosevelt County and Sierra County and in Texas in Gregg County, Hutchinson County, Moore County, Potter County and Ward County.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Lovell, Miller & Horn and constructed by William Douglas in 1891.
S – Cottle County
W – Hall County
Photos taken 2014