Castro County is named for Henri Castro, who was the French consul general of the Republic of Texas and the founder of a colony in Texas.
Created: August 21, 1876
Dimmitt 1891 – present
County Courthouse – Dimmitt
Location: 100 East Bedford Street / 2nd Street SE
Built: 1939 – 1940
Style: Art Deco / Moderne
Architect: Townes & Funk
Contractor: W W Hill Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a three story white colored sandstone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The center section is higher than the east and west wings. The entrance is recessed with a high square arch. The windows are narrow and vertical. The courtroom is located at the center of the second story. The Commissioner Court is located at the southeast side of the first story. The building was constructed as a Works Progress Administration project using local labor. An addition was constructed in 1971. The architect was Laverne H Kirby and the contractor was H R Bundock, Inc.
Note: The first court met in the office of J N Morrison. The first courthouse was a two story brick structure built in 1892 and which burned in 1906. The second courthouse was also a two story brick structure built by D P Kaufman in 1906. The building was demolished in 1939 to make way for the third and present courthouse constructed at a cost of $90,000.
E – Swisher County
W – Parmer County
Photos taken 2006, 2016 and 2019