Carson County is named for Samuel P Carson, the first secretary of state of the Republic of Texas.
Created: August 21, 1876
Panhandle 1888 – present
County Courthouse – Panhandle
Location: 501 Main Street / 6th Street
Built: 1949 – 1950
Style: Art Deco / Moderne
Architect: J C Berry, Kerr and Kerr
Contractor: Neill Singleton
Description: The building faces east and is a three story cream colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front of the building has a decorated frieze over the doorway and four long windows above the entrance which is clad with white colored stone. The base of the building is a dark red color. The third story is inset from the first and second stories. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located in the center of the second story.
See: The contractor Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1888, The second courthouse was designed by Leslie L Thurmon and constructed by Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky in 1909 at a cost of $40,000. The third and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $465,000.
E – Gray County
S – Armstrong County
W – Potter County
Photos taken 2006, 2016 and 2019