Burnet County

US States / O-U / Texas / Burnet County
Burnet

Burnet County is named for David Gouveneur Burnet, who was the first President of the Republic of Texas.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Lampasas County

E – Bell CountyWilliamson County and Travis County

S – Blanco County

W – Llano County and San Saba County

 

Created:  February 5, 1852                    Map of Texas highlighting Burnet County

County Seat: 

Burnet  1852 – present

 

County Courthouse – Burnet  

 

Location:  220 South Pierce Street / East Jackson Street

Built:  1935 – 1936

Style:  Moderne or Texas Renaissance

Architect:  Lewis Milton Wirtz and Herald Calhoun

Contractor:  Banapach Brothers of San Antonio

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story granite and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Burnet. The building is “H” shaped and has an east and west wing connected with a rectangular center section. The central entrances have decorative stonework and high vertical windows divided by metal strips. The building is faced with a light brownish colored granite which was quarried in the area. There are decorative panels of nine etched granite sections depicting the county’s heritage and economy. In the interior, there are patterned terrazzo floors and pink colored granite wainscoting capped with metal.  The eastern staircase has granite risers and terrazzo treads and is a single “U” configuration. The courtroom is located on the second story and has stained walls.. The building houses the State District Court, Constitutional County Court, County Court at Law and County Justice Court. In 1974 a one story addition was built on the south side. The architect was Willis Environmental Engineering of Marble Falls and the contractor was Burnet Construction Associates, Inc. The building was restored and renovated in 2003. The architect was Eleven Thirteen Architects and the contractor was Phoenix I Restoration and Construction, Ltd.

 

See:  The architect, Lewis Milton Wirtz, also designed the courthouse in Guadalupe County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1852 and Burnet was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in 1854 and burned in 1874. The second courthouse was built in 1874 and the third and present courthouse was constructed in 1936 at a cost of $122,349.

 

 

322texas06

County Courthouse – Burnet

 

 

x1_4

 

 

0504t17

 

 

0503t17

 

 

0512t17

 

 

0513t17

 

 

0514t17

 

 

0515t17

 

 

0515t17_0

 

 

0516t17

 

 

0517t17

 

 

0518t17

 

 

0519t17

 

 

0520t17

 

 

0521t17

 

 

0522t17

 

 

0523t17

 

 

0524t17

 

 

0525t17

Photos taken 2006 and 2017