Briscoe County is named for Andrew Briscoe, who was a soldier during the Texas Revolution.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Armstrong County
E – Hall County
W – Swisher County
Created: August 21, 1876
Silverton 1892 – present
County Courthouse – Silverton
Location: 415 Main Street / Lone Star Street
Built: 1921 – 1922
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Smith & Townes
Contractor: W M Rice Construction Company of Dallas
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Silverton. The building has a raised basement. The west front has a projecting porch with four white colored columns and recessed entrance on the first story. The center section of the building rises higher than east and west sections. The roof line is flat. In the interior, the courtroom is located on the west side of the second story. The building houses the State District Court, Constitutional County Court and County Justice Court. On the north east corner of the courthouse is the old stone County Jail.
See: The architect, William C Townes of Amarillo also designed the courthouses in Castro County, Childress County, Hansford County, Hutchinson County, Parmer County, Potter County and Ward County, and in New Mexico in Colfax County and Quay County.
See: The contractor, William M Rice of Amarillo, also constructed courthouses as W M Rice Construction Company in Bailey County, County, Cochran County, Freestone County, Limestone County, Lipscomb County, Oldham County, Parmer County and Wood County and designed the courthouse in Lynn County..
History: The county was created in 1876 and Silverton was selected as the county seat in 1892 when the county was organized. The first courthouse was built in 1892. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1922.
County Courthouse - Silverton
Old County Jail
Photos taken 2014 and 2016