Bosque County

US States / O-U / Texas / Bosque County
0693T09

Bosque County is named for the Bosque River which was named by the Spanish meaning “woods”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Erath County and Somervell County

E – Johnson County and Hill County

S – McLennan County and Coryell County

W – Hamilton County

 

Created:  February 4, 1854                    Map of Texas highlighting Bosque County

County Seat: 

Meridian  1854 – present

 

County Courthouse – Meridian  

 

Location:  201 South Main Street / West Morgan Street

Built:  1885 – 1886

Style:  Renaissance  Revival

Architect:  J J Kane of Fort Worth

Contractor:  P J Loonie

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story native limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Meridian. The center section of the east front projects from the building and rises to a high square clock tower with steep roof. The north and south wings project from the main building. The entrances are on either side of the central section. The windows are arched. In the interior, the corridor from east to west and the walls are white colored plaster. The stairs are fabricated from cast iron manufactured by J E Bolles of Detroit, Michigan. The courtroom is located on the second story and has a stamped galvanized iron ceiling. The building houses the State District Court, Constitutional County Court, County Court at Law and Justice Court. The building was remodeled in 1935. The architect was Roy E Lane and the contractor was O K Johnson. The building was restored in 2003. The architect was ArchiTexas Architecture, Inc. and the contractor was Phoenix I Restoration and Construction, Ltd. The building was further restored in 2007. The architect was ArchiTexas Architecture, Inc. and the contractor was Harrison Williams Harper.

 

See:  National; Register of Historic Places – Bosque County Courthouse

 

History:  The county was created in 1854 and Meridian was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in 1854. The second courthouse was built in 1860 and was destroyed by fire in 1871. The third courthouse was a two story stone structure built in 1875. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1885 to 1886.

 

 

2368t14

County Courthouses – Meridian

 

 

0695t09

 

 

0696t09

 

 

0697t09

 

 

2370t14

 

 

2375t14

 

 

2373t14

 

 

2374t14

 

 

2376t14

 

 

2378t14

 

 

2379t14

 

 

2382t14

 

 

2383t14

 

 

2381t14

 

 

2380t14

Photos taken 2009 and 2014