Bexar County is named for San Antonio de Bejar, the capital of Mexican Texas which was named for St. Anthony and the Duke of Bejar, who was the brother of the Spanish viceroy and who had died in 1686 defending Budapest from the Ottoman Empire.
Created: December 20, 1836
San Antonio 1836 – present
County Courthouse – San Antonio
Location: 100 Dolorosa Street / South Main Avenue
Built: 1891 – 1898
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: James Riely Gordon of San Antonio
Contractor: George Dugan, Otto R Koeger and David Hughes
Description: The building faces north and is a four story red colored sandstone and Native Texas granite structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has an arched entrance on the first story. On the second story is a colonnaded porch with a rounded short tower on either side. On the northwest corner is a square tower with open top and steep green colored roof. On the northeast corner is a square tower with an octagonal top and conical dome of red colored sandstone. The base of the building is course white colored stone. Between 1914 to 1915, a five-story addition was built onto the south side entrance. The architect was Leo M J Dielmann and Chalres T Boelhauwe and the contractor was H N Jones Construction Company. In 1926 to 1928, the building was renovated. Additions were constructed in 1963 and 1972. The architect was Edward R. Gondeck. The exterior was restored in 2003 and 2015. The architect was Almo Architect and the contractor was Joeris General Contractor.
See: The architect James Riely Gordon of San Antonio, Texas
Note: The first courthouse in 1837 was the Casas Reales an adobe structure built in 1749 and reconstructed in 1779 and 1783. The second courthouse was a two story structure built by Thomas Whitehead in 1850. The third courthouse was the remodeled Masonic Building in 1882. The architect was Alfred Giles and the contractor was D C Anderson. In 1888, the Meny Building was purchased. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $621,000. The courthouse is the largest and oldest continuously operated historic courthouse in Texas.
County Justice Center – San Antonio
Location: 300 Dolorosa Street / South Main Avenue
Built: 1988 – 1989
Architect: Ford, Powell & Carson Inc., Joneskell Architects Inc. and Saldana & Associates
Contractor: Gilbane Building Company
Description: The building faces north and is a five story concrete and glass structure. The building is located in the center of the city on the west side of the courthouse. The north front has a projecting center section with large arch on the first story. The section rises to a balcony on the fourth story. There is a circular overhang above at the roof line. The fifth story is recessed. The roof line is flat. The building houses the Fourth Court of Appeals.
County Administration – San Antonio
Location: 101 West Nuva Street / Flores Street
Built: 2007 – 2010
Architect: Kell Munoz Architects and Saldana & Associates Architects
Contractor: Zachry Construction Corporation
Description: The building faces west and is a ten story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city on the west side of the courthouse. The building is rectangular with square windows. The first story has red colored brick pillars with recessed glass walls. The 10th story has vertical windows with extended flat roof line. .The building is named as the Paul Elizondo Tower.
S – Atascosa County
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2009 and 2017