Bell County is named for Peter Hansboro Bell, who was the third Governor of Texas.
Created: March 15, 1891
Belton 1891 – present
County Courthouse – Belton
Location: 101 West Central Avenue / South Main Street
Built: 1883 – 1884
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Jasper N Preston & Sons
Contractor: Ben D Lee
Description: The building faces north and is a three story native limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has a large portico with three stone arches on the first story and four columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story with pediment above. On the center of the roof is a large square dome rising to a smaller dome with clock and statue of Justice at the top. The corner sections of the building project from the main building and have small square cupolas. The courtroom is located on the south side of the second story. The Historic Courtroom is located on the first story. In 1950, the building was renovated. The architect was Niggli & Gustafson of Austin and the contractor was Eitze-Kitchens Construction Company of Austin. In 1999, the building was further renovated. The architect was The Williams Company and the contractor was Baird Williams Construction Inc. of Temple.
Note: The first courthouse was a two room log cabin built by Thomas T Havens in 1851. The second courthouse was built by Simon Bramlet in 1858 and was torn down to make way for the present courthouse which was constructed at a cost of $64,965…The present and third courthouse has a statue of Peter H Bell located on the spacious grounds. In 1999, the dome that was removed in 1950, was restored on the top of the building.
County Justice Center – Belton
Location: 101 Huey Street / South Loop 121
Built: 2004 – 2006
Architect: Wiginton Hooker Jeffry Architects of Dallas
Contractor: Skanska USA Building, Inc. of Dallas
Description: The building faces north and is a two story glass, natural stone, stucco and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds on the south west of the center of the city. At the center rises a three story glass and concrete tower with entrance on the first story. The roof line is flat. The west wing contains the District Court and the east wing containing the County Court At Law. The building has ten courtrooms. The architect was Wiginton Hooker Jeffry Architects of Dallas and the contractor was Skanska USA Building, Inc. An addition was constructed in 2010.
Statue of Peter Hansboro Bell
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2009, 2017 and 2019