Bee County is named for Barnard E Bee, who was a secretary of state of the Republic of Texas.
Created: December 8, 1857
Beeville 1857 – present
County Courthouse – Beeville
Location: 105 West Corpus Christie Street / St. Mary Street
Built: 1911 – 1912
Style: Beaux Arts and Classical Revival
Architect: William Charles Stephenson Jr. of Chicago, Illinois and Fritz Heldenfels
Contractor: W C Whitney Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has a large portico supported by for large columns rising to a large pediment at the roof line. A balustrade runs along the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large red dome with a clock and the Goddess of Justice at the top. There are Chicago style windows of a glass pane flanked by two narrow panes. The courtrooms are located on the east and west sides of the second story. The building was restored in 2006. The architect was Bailey Architects and the contractor was Stoddard Construction Company.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1858. The second courthouse was built in 1860. The third courthouse was designed and built by Viggo Kohler in 1879. The building was destroyed by fire in 1911..
E – Refugio County
W – Live Oak County
Photos taken 2009