Bandera County is named for the Spanish word “bandera” meaning “flag”.
Created: January 26, 1856
Bandera 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Bandera
Location: 500 North Main Street / Hackberry Street
Built: 1889 – 1890
Style: Second Renaissance Revival
Architect: B F Trester Jr. of San Antonio and H P McDonald Brothers of Louisville, Kentucky
Contractor: Ed Braden & Sons and E Huffmeyer
Description: The building faces south and is a three story white colored limestone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a small portico on the first story supported by four columns with balcony on the second story. Above is an arch third story window forming the center section with the east and west sides having lower roofs. On the center of the roof is a high square white cupola with red colored roof and smaller cupola at the top. A one story addition was constructed on the east side. The architect was Robert V Buck of San Antonio and the contractor was Stein Lumber Company.
See: The building plans for the courthouse are the same as those used to construct the courthouse in Boone County, Kentucky. Also, the painted on clock faces read 7:45 when the courthouse was built, but now read 10:10.
Old County Courthouse – Bandera
Location: North Cypress Street / 13th Street
Built: 1868 – 1869
Architect: Henry White
Contractor: Henry White
Description: The building faces west and is a two story cream colored limestone structure. The building is located on the east side of the center of the city. The building has gable ends and a hipped roof. The building is the former library. On the north side is the old jail constructed in 1881.
E – Bexar County
S – Medina County
W – Real County
Old County Courthouse
Old County Jail
Photos taken 2009 and 2017