Bailey County is named for Peter J Bailey, an Alamo hero.
Created: August 21, 1876
Muleshoe 1919 – present
County Courthouse – Muleshoe
Location: 300 South 1st Street / West Avenue C
Built: 1924 – 1924
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: M C Butler of The Butler Company
Contractor: W M Rice Construction Company of Dallas
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front of the rectangular building and the north and south sides, have a small white colored stone porticoes. White colored stone trim is above the second story windows and along the flat roof line. The courtroom is located on the west side of the second story. On the west side is the one story County Jail and Law Enforcement center constructed in 1969. The architect was Bill W Cantrell and the contractor was E D Lampe of Lubbock.
See: The contractor, William M Rice of Amarillo, also constructed courthouses as W M Rice Construction Company in Briscoe County, Cochran County, Freestone County, Limestone County, Lipscomb County, Oldham County, Parmer County and Wood County and designed the courthouse in Lynn County..
Note: The first courthouse was a wood frame structure designed by W M Wilterding and built by H T Wilterding in 1917 at a cost of $2,450. The second and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $60,000.
N – Parmer County
E – Lamb County
S – Cochran County
W – Roosevelt County, New Mexico
County Jail and Law Enforcement Center
Photos taken 2007, 2016 and 2019