Atascosa County is named for the Atascosa River which in Spanish means “boggy”.
Created: February 2, 1856
Navatasco 1856 – 1858
Pleasanton 1858 – 1911
Jourdanton 1911 – present
County Courthouse – Jourdanton
Location: Courthouse Circle / Main Street
Built: 1911 – 1912
Style: Mission Revival
Architect: Henry Truman Phelps of San Antonio
Contractor: Gordon-Jones Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two story brown colored brick structure. The building is located on the Courthouse Circle in the center of the city. The south front has a projecting center section with arched entrance on the first story and arched porch extending east and west to large square towers with open belvederes. The square towers on each corner rise three stories. On the center of the roof is a square cupola. To the north is the old jail built in 1915.
See: The architect Henry Truman Phelps of San Antonio, Texas
Note: The first courthouse was built in Navatasco in 1856. The second courthouse was built in Pleasanton in 1858. The third courthouse was built in 1868. The courthouse was designed by J C Breeding & Sons and constructed by Oscar Crawford Company in 1885.
County Justice Center – Jourdanton
In 2018 a new County Justice Center was completed on the northeast of the courthouse.
S – McMullen County
Old County Jail
Photos taken 2009 and 2019