Angelina County

US States / O-U / Texas / Angelina County

Angelina County is named for Angelina, who was a Hainai Native America girl who became an enthusiastic convert of the Franciscan missionaries and was named “Angelina” by the missionaries.


Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Cherokee County and Nacogdoches County

E – San Augustine County

S – Jasper CountyTyler County and Polk County

W – Trinity County and Houston County


Created:  April 22, 1846                          Map of Texas highlighting Angelina County

Marion       1846 – 1854

Jonesville  1854 – 19858

Homer       1858 – 1892

Lufkin        1892 – present


County Courthouse – Lufkin


Location:  215 Lufkin Avenue / North 3rd Street

Built:  1954 – 1955

Style:  Moderne

Architect:  Wilbur Kent

Contractor:  Temple Associates


Description:  The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Lufkin. The south front has a lower east section with the upper part being white colored concrete with a large clock. The west part has vertical concrete dividers rising to the top of the second story. The entrance is in the center of the south side. The third story has small windows with white colored panels between. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County District Court, Constitutional County Court and County Court at Law of the 2nd Administrative Judicial Region.


See:  The 2nd Administrative Judicial Region has a main office in Conroe in Montgomery County. 


History:  The county was created in 1846 and Marion was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a two story log cabin built in 1847. The second courthouse was also built in Marion in 1849. The county seat was moved to Jonesville in 1854 and to Homer in 1858. The third courthouse was a two story frame structure built in 1873 and which burned in 1891. The county seat was moved to Lufkin in 1892. The fourth courthouse was a frame structure built in 1892 at a cost of $2000. The fifth courthouse was a three story brick structure designed by James Riely Gordon and constructed by B B Shearer, S W Henderson and Theodore Miller in 1903 and served until the sixth and present courthouse was constructed in 1954 to 1955.




County Courthouse – Lufkin



















Photos taken 2010