Andrews County is named for Richard Andres, who was the first man to die in the war for Texas independence in 1835.
Created: August 21, 1876
Andrews 1910 – present
County Courthouse – Andrews
Location: 201 North Main Street / NW Avenue B
Built: 1938 – 1939
Architect: W T Strange of Haynes & Strange of Lubbock
Contractor: J R Blackmore & Sons of Austin
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red and buff colored brick and concrete Moderne style structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The main building is the original rectangular buff colored brick building with vertical windows. The courtroom is located on the second story. On the east side is a one story red colored brick addition with framed central entrance constructed in 1956. The roof line is flat. The building was renovated in 1955 and 1976 a three story addition was constructed on the west side. To the west of the courthouse is the one story County Courthouse Annex which was a former hospital..
Note: The County was organized in 1910. The first and previous courthouse was built in 1911.
N – Gaines County
E – Martin County
W – Lea County, New Mexico
Commissioner Minutes – contractor
County Clerk Office
Photos taken 2014 and 2019