Washington County is named for George Washington, who was the first President of the United States from 1789 to 1797.
Created: November 15, 1777
Jonesborough 1777 – present
County Courthouse – Jonesborough
Location: 100 East Main Street / Cherokee Street
Built: 1912 – 1913
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Baumann Brothers of Knoxville
Contractor: L A Galyon
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The northwest front has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There is a small balcony on the second story of the portico. A balustrade runs along the roof line. On the center of the roof is a square white cupola with clock. An addition was built on the southeast side in 1963. The architect was Beeson & Beeson and the contractor was M A Tipton Construction Company. The building was renovated in 1987. The architect was Beeson, Lusk & Street, Inc. and the contractor was Norman Construction Company. .
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed by Jacob Newman and William Fleming in 1847.
County Justice Center – Jonesborough
Location: 108 West Madison Boulevard / North Cherokee Street
Built: 2007 – 2009
Architect: Ken Ross Architects Inc.
Contractor: Burwill Construction Company
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The southeast front has a large central portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. North and south wings extend from the main building and have vertical windows and hipped roofs. On the center of the roof is an octagonal cupola. The building is named as the George P Jaynes Justice Center.
County Juvenile Court – Johnson City
Location: 607 East Myrtle Street / New Street
Built: 2012 – 2013
Architect: Thomas Weems Architects
Contractor: Armstrong Construction Company
Description: The building faces southeast and is a one story red-brown colored brick and concrete structure. The southeast front has a projecting center section with entrance on the west side. The roof line is flat except for the hipped roof on the center part of the building.
Note: There is a courthouse at 128 East Market Street.
N – Sullivan County
S – Unicoi County
Photos taken 2012 and 2014