Location: 501 West Main Street / Walnut Street
Built: 1932 – 1934 / 1951 – 1953
Style: Modern Art Deco
Architect: Baumann & Baumann, Inc. of Knoxville
Contractor: RA W Kushe Company of Detroit, Michigan / Johnson and Willard
Description: The building faces southeast and is a three story Tennessee pink colored marble and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of Knoxville. The building was constructed using six different types of Tennessee marble. The southeast front has vertical dividers between the windows. The east and west ends have framed entrances. Above each entrance is a vertical window. The building contains aluminum casement windows. The roof line is flat. The building is the United States Post Office and Courthouse. The four eagles statues are carved by sculptor Albert Milani. The interior of the building contains numerous Art Deco elements, namely grillwork with floral motifs, floral patterns in the entrance transoms, aluminum spandrels on the upper floors with floral and zigzag patterns, and a plaster ceiling with aluminum floral and zigzag moldings. The upper stories contain the court room and offices. The large courtroom has wood paneling ang a high ceiling. The building was renovated in 1964. In 2003, the building was again renovated. The architect was Cope Associates and the contractor was Denark Construction. The building houses the Tennessee State Criminal Court of Appeals and the eastern division of the Tennessee Supreme Court.
See: The building is located in Knox County.
Tennessee Supreme Court – Knoxville
Supreme Court / Court of Appeal Courtroom
Photios taken 2008, 2014 and 2018